Director, Enterprise Data Management
Requisition ID # 86402
Job Category : Accounting / Finance
Job Level : Director/Chief
Business Unit: Ethics & Compliance
Job Location : Oakland; San Ramon
The Enterprise Data Management (EDM) program ensures the health and usefulness of PG&E’s data assets to achieve the vision of enabling effective and informed decisions using trustworthy and accessible data. Rethinking the way data is managed is necessary to ensure delivery of key business outcomes to improve safety, minimize risk, reduce operating costs, improve efficiency, and enable improved stakeholder engagement to support execution of enterprise level goals and to achieve operational excellence.
The Director of Enterprise Data Management will lead the Enterprise Data Management program. The mission of this team is to provide governance and oversight over PG&E’s data management activities, supporting the lines of business as they advance their ability to make data-driven decisions by improving the accessibility, quality and use of information/data and maturing analytical capabilities.
S/he will have a passion for building and leading high performing teams and will be responsible for developing an environment where teams can be successful by removing roadblocks, fostering a culture of agility.
This is a new role at PG&E, and a unique opportunity to build a mission critical function from the ground-up.
- Directs multi-year strategy aimed at increasing enterprise data management maturity and improving the quality, integrity and reliability of enterprise data to improve PG&E’s ability to make data-driven decisions. Leads the overall development of the strategic plan along with operational and tactical plans.
- Translates the business capability needs and requirements of the PG&E lines of business into a comprehensive, integrated data management strategy and roadmap. Drives consistency of data asset management plan development and implementation.
- Collaborates and coordinates with lines of business to provide timely and consistent responses to data requests.
- Oversees the creation of key data governance and data management documentation.
- Conducts gap/needs assessments, capacity analysis and reviews various other metrics to identify potential opportunities. Shares observations and recommendations to improve enterprise data management capabilities and practices. Strives to reduce the cost of managing data and increase the value of the data.
- Improves data management practices in support of business needs:
- Systematically investigates, corrects, and improves cross-functional, high-value data quality issues
- Collaborates with lines of business to improve high-value, data-generating business processes
- Partners with IT to drive consistent and automated measurement and monitoring of data quality
- Ensures that PG&E leverages and benefits from the Palantir Foundry data management platform in an effective and sustainable manner.
- Oversees and enables a portfolio of partnerships with researchers and other organizations outside of PG&E that could lead to improvements in PG&E operations, as well as support increased transparency and trust in how PG&E operates.
- Fosters the appropriate behavior among data users across the company in the creation, use, value, importance, and control of data.
- Effectively communicates developments relating to the data governance, management and integrity across the company, including increasing the company’s data literacy.
- Proactively provides expert knowledge of industry trends and technologies as it relates to specific opportunities where technology can enhance value to the PG&E business unit and/or addresses a specific business need.
- Provides regular reporting and status updates to ensure business and IT leadership are kept informed of project status, issues and risk.
- Accountable for department budget and impact on customer affordability.
- Implements PG&E practices for staffing, EEO, diversity, performance management, development, reward and recognition, and retention.
- Ensures staff has the resources and skills needed to support all work initiatives.
- Builds and maintains strong relationships with data asset family owners, lines of business, and external agencies to understand business requirements, resolve issues, and improve customer outcomes
- May be required to organize, schedule, coordinate and lead communities of practice or other working groups, both temporary and ongoing, to accomplish assigned objectives.
- Collaborates with the lines of business to define opportunities and prioritize projects. Ensures that Service Level Agreements are established and met, particularly focused on the following:
- Partnering with IT in determining whether the current Data Management plan is, and will be, effective in successfully executing enterprise-wide data governance, and in developing supporting technology and technical capabilities
- Coordinating with Enterprise Risk and Records and Information Management organizations to identify controls, mitigations and compliance requirements associated with the top enterprise risks and implement action plans to achieve improvements
- Supporting lines of business to develop and implement data management plans to meet compliance requirements and achieve operational excellence
PG&E expects its leaders to conduct themselves with the highest ethics and integrity and to embody specific leadership qualities.
- Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
- Operating effectively, even when things are not certain, or the way forward is not clear.
A Leader in the Community and Industry
- Effectively building formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization.
- Anticipating and balancing the needs of multiple stakeholders.
Demonstrates Safety Leadership
- A safety champion in words and deeds with respect to both employee and public safety.
- Maintaining an environment of open dialog and free of retaliation.
Influences and Inspires
- Using various- communications that convey a clear understanding of the needs of different audiences.
- Maneuvering comfortably through complex policy, process, and people-related dynamics.
Optimizes Team Performance
- Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Creating a climate where people are developed and motivated to do their best to help the organization.
Values Diversity and Creates Inclusion
- Recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
- Interpreting and applying understanding of key financial indicators to make better business decisions.
- Planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
Leads Ethically and in a Compliant Manner
- Sponsoring and sustaining a high integrity speak-up corporate culture which prioritizes ethics, safety and compliance.
- Building on necessary level of industry, company and subject-matter expertise, including laws and regulations.
Provides a High Level of Customer Service
- Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, sciences, sustainability, econometrics, statistics, mathematics, computer science, data science, environmental engineering, electrical engineering or other applicable discipline OR equivalent years of related experience
- Ten years of relevant professional experience. A relevant master’s degree can be substituted for two years of experience; a relevant PhD can be substituted for five years of experience
- 5 years of job-related leadership experience
- Experience with program implementation in a regulated environment
- Skilled at developing people to meet both their career goals and organizational objectives
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills
- Extensive experience collaborating with IT
- Competency in using compelling arguments to gain the support and commitment of others
- Experience successfully standing up a data governance/management program
- Ability to deliver multi-mode communications to meet the unique needs of different audiences
- Experience implementing programs aimed at meeting regulatory obligations
- Deep understanding of business drivers and compliance requirements, preferably within a highly regulated, complex environment