Expert Data Scientist
Requisition ID # 142781
Job Category: Accounting / Finance
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Gas Engineering
Work Type: Hybrid
Job Location: San Ramon
Reservoir Engineering is focused on ensuring the safe and reliable flow of natural gas to our customers. As a whole, Reservoir Engineering is responsible for monitoring the integrity and condition of PG&E's natural gas storage wells and reservoirs.
This is an Expert-level Data Scientist job that requires mastery of the required job duties.The Expert-level Data Scientist is responsible for assessing, monitoring, and cataloguing the current and future state of data supporting the integrity of gas storage wells and reservoirs operated by PG&E as well as gas storage project related data. They are a recognized expert within their area of responsibility. The requires extensive knowledge of concepts, principles, and practices to resolve problems with only general direction. Provides technical leadership and coaching on data flow and condition. Researches and identifies practical solutions to problems. Identifies opportunities and brings in ideas to help improve company performance.
Resolves data science problems of varying scope. Serves as a key technical resource within area of specialization. Regularly expected to apply creativity or new approaches to assignments that may be unique. May lead others on data science projects. Customarily and regularly uses discretion and independent judgment in fulfilling these job functions.
Position will require between 10-15% of travel time in work schedule.
This position is hybrid, working from your remote office and your assigned work location based on business need. The assigned work location will be within the PG&E Service Territory.
Incumbent should expect to travel to San Ramon, CA for projects, meetings, trainings, etc.
Expert Data Scientist assignments include:
• Shares and collaborates with other PG&E data science professionals.
• Works closely with domain experts to develop relevant domain knowledge in the electric and gas utility, as well as knowledge of related datasets.
• Gathers, cleans, transforms, and/or reduces data from dissimilar sources from across PG&E.
• Establishes and manages, and maintains data systems of record
• Works with business partners to advance business processes, based on analytical findings.
• Applies machine learning and other analytical modeling methods to develop robust and reliable analytical models, including visualizations, within PG&E’s software development environment.
• Documents data sources, methodology, and model evaluation metrics.
• Serves as the technical lead for development of high complexity models.
• Assesses business implications associated with modeling assumptions, inputs, methodologies, technical implementation, analytic procedures and processes, and advanced data analysis.
• Works with sponsor departments and company subject matter experts to understand application and potential of data analytic solutions to that create value for end-users.
• Presents findings and makes recommendations to senior management.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Econometrics, Economics, Engineering, Mathematics, Applied Sciences, Statistics or job-related discipline or equivalent experience
- Job-related experience (e.g. data analytics and modeling), 8 years, OR Master’s Degree and job-related experience, 6 years, OR Doctorate and job-related experience, 3 years
- Graduate degree in Computer Science, Econometrics, Economics, Engineering, Mathematics, Applied Sciences, Statistics or job-related discipline.
- Relevant industry (electric or gas utility, renewable energy, analytics consulting, etc.) experience, 5 years
- Experience with the elements of the data management lifecycle (data acquisition, security, storage, architecture, integration, governance, compliance, reference data management, data quality and metadata) and best practices
- Competency with relevant project management tools, theories and techniques as needed to support the timely and successful execution of project requirements
- Knowledge of industry trends and current issues in job-related area of responsibility as demonstrated through peer reviewed journal publications, conference presentations, open-source contributions or similar activities
- Competency with commonly used data science and/or operations research programming languages, packages, and tools
- Understanding of data science/machine learning models and algorithms
- Proficiency in synthesizing complex information into clear insights and translating those insights into decisions and actions
- Ability to clearly communicate complex technical details and insights to colleagues and stakeholders
- Knowledge of the mathematical and statistical fields that underpin data science
- Knowledge of systems thinking and structuring complex problems
- Ability to develop, coach, teach and/or mentor others to meet both their career goals and the organization goal
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Econometrics, Economics, Engineering, Mathematics, Applied Sciences, Statistics or job-related discipline or equivalent experience from an accredited curriculum in the US or the equivalent from outside the US.