Expert Gas Facility Integrity Management Program Engineer
Requisition ID # 141341
Job Category: Engineering / Science
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Gas Engineering
Work Type: Hybrid
Job Location: San Ramon
The Gas Measurement Services group is responsible for managing and supporting gas quality issues, providing subject matter expertise on meters, and supporting the Renewable Natural Gas (RNG) interconnects across the entire territory.
One of major components related to gas quality is odorization. The team reviews and analyzes data from projects to create and modify company odorization procedures. The team is looking to refine the controls and processes in place for odorization as more information is learned. The team also troubleshoots issues related to moisture, sulfur, black powder, BTU, etc.
The team has an important role the RNG space. The team is developing company processes and procedures for RNG connections. We are closely monitoring the gas quality from RNG interties as mandated by Rule 21 & 29.
The Gas Engineering staff provides engineering, testing and analysis services and expertise across multiple disciplines to various company organizations to identify, diagnose and solve technical problems. Designs and scales up manufacturing processes, instruments and equipment, and tests manufactured products to maintain quality. Analyzes and develops solutions to engineering problems related to manufacturing equipment and systems or the causes of component failures. Develops and applies engineering standards and procedures, and provides advice on issues within the engineering field. Provides consultation and advice to clients proactively to avoid future problems by specifying equipment, materials and methods that are best practices in the industry. Services include inspections, failure analysis, performance assessments, and evaluations on a wide variety of systems and components ranging from steel materials to pipelines.
Gas IM (Integrity Management) Engineers may specialize in one or more areas including: Distribution Mains & Services, Customer Connected Equipment, Measurement & Control, Transmission Line Pipe, Compression & Processing, Gas Quality & Measurement Services, LNG & CNG Portable Supply, CNG Fueling Stations and Gas Storage:
• Determines, selects and implements technically feasible and economically viable alternatives for sustainment
• Analyzes and evaluates how to improve a system and/or equipment's sustainability under continued operation, maintenance and unexpected change
• Supports in-service operating systems to ensure continued operation and maintenance and optimize throughput
• Develops design changes to resolve operational issues, introduces new materials and revises product, process and test specifications to enhance product quality, design integrity, reliability and manufacturability
• Evaluates project and maintenance data; supports root cause analyses of significant gas quality problems and implements corrective action.
• Provides input for the continuous development and improvement of PG&E’s Integrity Management Program, pursuant with 49CFR192.
• Responsible for updating and improving PG&E’s Integrity Management Program and Risk Management Procedure RMP-15
• Responsible for developing, implementing, and tracking any recommendations resulting from risk analysis and overall program.
• Participates in various Integrity Management Threat Committees and Technical Teams
• Partners with many key internal stakeholders such as Gas System Operations, Codes and Standards, Corrosion, LNG/CNG, Gas Pipeline Operations & Maintenance, and Gas Asset Engineering.
• Provides integrity management subject matter expert support for various assets and input to other Gas Operations organizations
Will contribute toward Gas Safety Excellence goals by improving safety, reliability and affordability for one or more asset families and one or more life cycles.
Position will require up to 25% of travel time in work schedule.
This position is hybrid, working from your remote office and your assigned work location based on business need. The assigned work location will be within the PG&E Service Territory.
Incumbent should expect to travel to San Ramon, CA for projects, meetings, trainings, etc. Headquarter base may transition to Oakland, CA for future.
- Bachelors’ degree in Engineering with emphasis on related/assigned discipline (i.e., mechanical, civil or electrical engineering, etc.)
- 7 years’ experience in gas transmission or distribution design, operations, and/or maintenance environment
- Professional Engineer License
- 5 years of Natural Gas or Petroleum experience
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Desired
- Strong knowledge of gas distribution and transmission engineering, operations, construction, and maintenance aspects of the gas utility business
- Significant experience in Risk and/or Integrity Management
- Significant operations/field experience
- Significant experience in pipeline construction
- Strong experience in data analysis
- Strong knowledge of corrosion mechanisms and corrosion control
- Strong knowledge of 49 CFR Part 192, CPUC GO 112E
- Strong budget and Project Management experience
- Expertise in engineering research and testing concepts, theories, practices, methods, techniques in area of specialty. May have thorough understanding of other engineering specialties.
- Expertise in investigative and analytical problem-solving methods and techniques.
- Excellent organizational skills to effectively monitor and lead technical tests.
- Thorough understanding of quality assurance and control concepts and practices.
- Strong communication and presentation skills to effectively deliver findings and recommendations to clients of various levels.
- Project management and team leadership skills.
- Strong customer service orientation, adapting project plan and team leadership to customer needs as appropriate.
• Exercises independent judgment in leading and resolving problems of large impact, scope and complexity with few precedents or standards requiring integration of information from a variety of sources. Leads team determining scope, schedule, budget and preparing client bid proposals.
• Is recognized as a subject matter expert in one discipline or type of gas asset and provides breadth of knowledge and performs analysis and projects across several disciplines.
• Searches for new practical solutions to highly complex problems. Assesses business conditions, identifies opportunities and develops projects & solutions from a multifunctional or multidisciplinary perspective.
• Develops and presents recommendations and business cases for new and innovative programs, processes and solutions to leaders across Gas Engineering and Operations gaining buy-in and approval.
• Leads project teams performing tests to identify, define, solve problems and prepare technical reports and specifications. Prepares and delivers presentations and recommendations to clients based on project results/findings.
• Oversees assembly of technical systems and prototypes according to engineering standards and knowledge of related principles.
• Develops, evaluates and deploys new technologies. Identifies innovations and cost-reduction potential of new and existing technologies.
• May provide expert opinion or information related to projects or other issues to external customers, agencies or other parties.
• Interfaces with clients to understand expectations, concerns and ensure strong customer satisfaction.
• May represent PG&E at industry association meetings or seminars.