New Technology Engineering Intern
Requisition ID # 143003
Job Category: Administrative / Clerical
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Electric Engineering
Work Type: Onsite
Job Location: San Ramon
Applied Technology Services (ATS) is an internal service organization that provides high quality technical services and expertise on an as-needed basis to all lines of business at Pacific Gas & Electric Company (PG&E). Based at PG&E’s San Ramon Technology Center, ATS is a multi-disciplinary team of approximately 120 engineers and technical personnel who perform work in the ATS San Ramon offices and laboratories, and in the field.
The New Technology Engineering intern is directly responsible for identifying, researching, validating through a detailed test plan, piloting, and provide recommendations for operationalization of new inspection technology for the company.
The intern will identify new inspection methods that are commercially available to address the threats on our assets. The intern will need to research and review the scientific and engineering concept to ensure soundness of the new technology as well as review usage in the industry. The intern will need to develop a case to move forward through a gated approval process with validation of the new technology which will include a detailed test plan to verify expected performance, a training plan for those who will use the equipment, and response criteria for the lab environment. The intern will also develop a test plan for field verification where the tool will be piloted to confirm expected performance in the field, compare performance to existing inspection methods (if available), and document all findings and lessons learned with field operations. If the technology is successful in all tests, the intern will develop an operationalization plan to include key personnel involved, training needed, processes and documents that will be affected, and costs associated with operationalizing. The intern will participate in check-in meetings with stakeholders who fund the project and provide clear and constant updates to the project team.
PG&E is providing the hourly rate range that the company in good faith believes it might pay for this position at the time of the job posting. This compensation range is specific to the locality of the job. The actual hourly rate paid to an individual will be based on multiple factors, including, but not limited to, specific skills, education, licenses or certifications, experience, market value, geographic location, and internal equity. Although we estimate the successful candidate hired into this role will be placed towards the middle or entry point of the range, the decision will be made on a case-by-case basis related to these factors.
The hourly rate for this position ranges from $18.43 to $35.11
- Applies basic engineering principles and scientific theory to perform testing, calculations, and analysis under direction of senior peers or supervisor.
- Typically assigned to routine work where precedents, standards, protocols, and techniques exists.
- May design the test plans for assignments/projects and select standards, methods, and protocols. Reviews design and test plans with senior peer or supervisor.
- Develops knowledge in a specific ATS area of specialty or discipline.
- Partners with senior technical peers to develop proficiency in a variety of issues. Assists with the more complex projects by compiling and providing technical data.
- Prepare monthly progress reports on productivity, turnaround time, and other critical business metrics for respective assignments.
- Basic knowledge in engineering research and testing concepts, theories, practices, methods, techniques.
- Basic investigative skills.
- Communication and interpersonal skills.
- Good customer service orientation.
- Understanding of quality assurance and control concepts and practices.
- Good organizational and analytical problem-solving skills.
- Collaboration and teamwork.
- Pursuing Bachelor’s degree in Engineering with emphasis in a discipline related to assignments. (i.e., Mechanical, Civil, or Electrical Engineering, etc.) Students MUST be continuing education towards degree during and/or after internship.
- 10-15% travel.
- Must Have a valid driver's license or obtian one at least 30 days prior to start date.
- Completed Bachelor’s degree in Engineering and currently pursuing Master’s degree in Engineering with emphasis in a discipline related to assignments. (i.e., Mechanical, Civil or Electrical Engineering, etc.) Students MUST be continuing education towards degree during and/or after internship.
- Passed Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) and obtain EIT certification
PG&E is unable to provide VISA sponsorship to students on an F-1, J-1 or other student visa for this position. Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an AA/EEO employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce.