Principal, Engineer ATS (San Ramon)
Requisition ID # 142421
Job Category: Engineering / Science
Job Level: Manager/Principal
Business Unit: Electric Engineering
Work Type: Onsite
Job Location: San Ramon
The ATS principal engineer is expected to be a self-directed and experienced engineering consultant who is capable of independently leading projects and programs and interact with clients. The ATS principal engineer will provide high end engineering, testing and analysis services and expertise across multiple disciplines to various company organizations to identify, diagnose and solve technical problems. This ATS principal engineer is expected to be an expert in the areas of risk management, risk-informed asset management plans, and statistical analysis. This ATS principal engineer will establish failure analysis and component testing programs for the different lines of business and develop processes to integrate FA and testing results into asset management strategies. The principal engineer will also conduct inspections, failure analysis, performance assessments, and evaluations on a wide variety of systems and components. Lead client focused projects and programs and participate in strategic planning. Partners with management to create bid proposals for requested client work.
- Leads large scale multi-year electric transmission system component testing plan to inform asset risk models and asset strategy.
- Collaborates with multiple stakeholders to develop and execute process for testing that clearly defines scope, logistics, execution, and usage of test results.
- Performs statistical analysis to ensure testing plan sampling adheres to client goals.
- Performs or leads relevant data mining utilizing PG&E software tools for extent of condition specific to asset components.
- Develops, prepares, and presents failure analysis and testing reports to senior leadership.
- Coordinates with internal ATS business units and labs to complete asset component testing on budget, on time, and exceed client quality expectations.
- Develops, prepares and presents findings, conclusions and recommendations to senior leadership using a broader perspective, knowledge of the business and understanding of longer term implications to the client.
- Exercises independent judgment in leading teams on the most complex projects with the high financial impact to PG&E and/or the client.
- Identifies new technologies, innovations, and cost-reduction opportunities. Conceives and investigates new areas; contributes new designs and techniques regarded as major advances in PG&E or industry.
- Interfaces with clients, handling the more sensitive issues, understanding expectations and concerns, and ensuring strong customer satisfaction.
- Is the authority in one discipline or type of ATS service and offers breadth of knowledge and performs analysis and projects across several disciplines.
- Provides subject matter expertise in material testing and characterization.
- Leads project teams in the performance of tests and the preparation of technical reports and specifications. Prepares and delivers presentations and recommendations based on project results/findings, advice and expertise, frequently to senior leadership.
- Leads projects, determining scope, schedule, budget. Prepares and presents client bid proposals.
- Provides leadership and expertise in developing new standards, codes, guidelines, polices, techniques, and procedures in PG&E technical services. Uses a broad business understanding to solve the most complex problems in creative ways, ensuring solutions consider both short and long term business impact.
- Provides leadership to lower level peers.
- Recognized outside PG&E as an expert or authority on a particular engineering/technical field or discipline. Represents PG&E and speaks at conferences or seminars. May write articles in trade journals. Influences industry developments.
- Represents PG&E and provides testimony or information related to projects or other issues to external customers, agencies or other parties.
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering or job-related discipline or equivalent experience
- Job-related experience, 10 years
- Masters Degree or equivalent experience
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification
- PE-Professional Engineer license