Senior Engineering Technician (ESC), ATS Mechanical Testing Lab - San RamonI'm Interested Date posted 11/20/2020
Requisition ID # 72683
Job Category : Maintenance / Construction / Operations
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Electric Operations
Job Location : San Ramon
Applied Technology Services (ATS) has been providing technology-based, innovative, high-value services to the company for over 40 years. ATS is a multidisciplinary team of over 120 engineers, scientists, and technicians. The ATS vision is to be a forward-thinking, technological leader providing high-value solutions and services needed across the Company. ATS high value services also help proactively avoid future problems by specifying equipment, materials and methods that are best practices in the industry.
PG&E’s Applied Technologies Services (ATS) Materials Engineering & Failure Analysis group provides a range of services, which include failure analysis, material selection, and specification and procedure development.
Facility description: ATS has a Mechanical Testing and Metallurgy laboratories that specialize in Failure Analysis testing. The mechanical testing laboratory is equipped with a variety of horizontal and vertical materials strength testing frames along with a machine shop for fabricating testing fixtures. The materials testing team with a Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM), optical microscopes, image analysis system, sample prep equipment, micro-hardness testers,
This job is represented by Engineers and Scientists of California (ESC) subject to collective bargaining.
A successful candidate will have demonstrated ability of independently running a mechanical testing lab equipment with thorough expertise in testing the properties of materials under dynamic or static forces. The ideal candidate will have previous experience in planning, conducting, and reporting mechanical tests such as tensile strength tests, compression strength tests, bending tests, shear tests, impact resistance, fracture toughness, and fatigue per industry standards. Furthermore, the ideal candidate will have experience using standard scientific methods to design and execute custom tests to test materials that do not have industry and testing standards including designing and fabricating test fixtures. Materials you will most likely encounter on the job are: Steels (pipes, valves, vessels), Aluminum (wire, fittings, connectors), Copper (wire, valves), and ceramics (insulators). A suitable candidate will have previous knowledge and experience reading and interpreting engineering drawings, product specifications and other technical documents. The right candidate will have a strong background in machinery repair and troubleshooting of equipment. Furthermore, a suitable candidate will have a fabrication with skills including machining (hand tools, band saw, drill press, lathe, end mill), fixture manufacturing, using acetylene torches, band saws, and cut off saws (wet, dry). A strong knowledge of metallurgy with experience polishing equipment (manual/automated), and sample mounting processes, hardness testers, optical microscopes is a plus
Strong oral and written communication skills with a customer focus and a can-do attitude are required.
Successful candidates should work well with others and have a client focus. This job requires developing and promoting strong client relationships, having a can-do attitude and being sensitive to client issues. The right candidate will participate and actively contribute in a team environment of brainstorming, troubleshooting, and problem-solving efforts
Organize and schedule multiple tests in collaboration with R&D engineers.
Assist in miscellaneous engineering/test projects as necessary
Travel requirement: 15-30% of the time, throughout the PG&E territory.
- Safety: Demonstrate safe working practices at all times. Strong focus on customer, general public and employee safety in all work practices.
- Job Management: Collaborate well with team members and client’s to plan, schedule, and conduct multiple laboratory projects. Take responsibility administer and coordinate outside contract work effectively.
- Mechanical testing: Independently plan, design, setup, execute, and analyze results.
- Housekeeping: Responsible for scheduling and performing necessary, maintenance, calibration, and shop orderliness including ensuring adequate inventory of testing supplies is maintained.
- Quality Improvement: Identify continuous improvement opportunities within the lab
- Reporting: Compile detailed test data and put together simple pre/post-test summary reports in the format requested by the clients
- Possess a 2 year AA of Science degree (preferably mechanical engineering) or equivalent educationand/or certifications in the appropriate field of technology
- 5 years relevant work experience mechanical/metallurgical testing including planning and operating: tension, compression, and load tests
- 5 years relevant work experience of fabrication of metal fixtures including cutting, joining. grinding, polishing, and testing
- Experience with managing testing including defining scope, creating a plan, and scheduling the work
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment, managing multiple tasks to achieve significant goals.
- Experience with materials management (Sample log-in, tracking, and following internal procedures for chain of custody)
- Comfortable with computers: familiar with MS Outlook, Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint
- Previously lead and operated mechanical testing specifically
- Basic understanding of hydraulic systems, and electronics preferred.
- Knowledge and Experience with control logic for mechanical testing equipment
- Experience with creation of simple CAD models as part of design and fabrication of fixtures