Senior Manager, Wildfire Risk Management
Requisition ID # 96334
Job Category : Compliance / Risk / Quality Assurance
Job Level : Senior Manager
Business Unit: Wildfire Risk
The men and women of Electric Operations ensure the delivery of clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy to nearly 16 million people in Northern and Central California. Electric Operations is responsible for every aspect of PG&E's electric distribution and transmission operations, including planning, engineering, maintenance and construction, asset management, business planning, restoration and emergency response.
The Wildfire Risk Organization is responsible for assisting the company to act decisively and transparently to prevent fires of consequence from being caused by our equipment. The organization will develop objectives to: 1) prevent fires of consequence originating from our equipment; 2) meet all commitments outlined in our 2021 Wildfire Mitigation Plan; 3) continue to foster trusted relationships with key stakeholders; and 4) Develop consistent processes and work standards through the implementation of the Lean Operating System for sustainable operations going into 2022 and beyond.
The Senior Manager, Wildfire Risk Management oversees risk assessment and wildfire mitigation activities for the Wildfire Risk organization working alongside Electric Operations. This will include leading processes to identify and assess risk, as well as partnering with senior leadership to develop effective mitigation strategies and plans with a focus on wildfire safety. The incumbent champions risk efforts, ensuring awareness across Wildfire Risk and Electric Operations, oversees operational risk management and provides guidance as a subject matter expert on corporate risk tools, policies, practices, and processes.
- Leads wildfire risk assessment and mitigation activities across Wildfire Risk and Electric Operations.
- Provides authoritative wildfire risk support, advice, and recommendations in order to ensure effective risk management and mitigation.
- Leads the process to identify and document risk, assess the impacts, explore & evaluate mitigation alternatives, develop risk scoring and mitigation prioritization approaches.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with other line of business (LOB) risk and compliance managers to understand the interdependencies between risks and identify mutually beneficial mitigation strategies. Influences wildfire Risk and Electric Operations investment planning to include programs to enhance system safety. Teams with corporate risk staff to ensure Wildfire Risk and Electric Operations risk practices are consistent with risk management in other LOBs.
- Recognizes internal and external developments that may impact wildfire risks within Electric Operations.
- Oversees the development of executive presentations on risk overview, mitigation strategies, performance against plans. Develops and proposes new plans, strategies, and/or approaches to address risks. Strives to gain approval, agreement from executives.
- Responsible for supports regulatory communications with the CPUC and its departments through GRC, RAMP and WMP proceedings.
- Represents PG&E to outside organizations such as regulators or industry associations regarding wildfire risk trends, common issues, or best practices. Maintains industry contacts for benchmarking and sharing information.
- Senior to Principal and Expert level risk management specialists.
- Manages staff to accomplish results through effective recruitment and selection, training and development, performance management, and rewards and recognition.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Ten years of relevant experience in quantitative analysis, risk management, engineering, operations, maintenance, construction of electric systems or electric generation
- Three years of experience in managing, coordinating, and performing complex business analysis and regulatory proceedings
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in engineering, business, mathematics, science, technology, or risk related discipline
- Advanced Degree (PhD, JD, etc.)
- Risk Management Certification
- Experience leading and/or managing cross-functional teams, organization, or workgroup
- Operational experience in oil and gas, natural gas and/or electric operations business
- Cross-functional project management skills, strategic planning or utility operations
- Experience with a variety of problem-solving tools and techniques (e.g. failure modes, stochastic modeling, cause analysis, fault tree, quantitative analysis. Monte Carlo simulations, etc.)
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills
- Previous experience in risk management, safety engineering or quality engineering.
- Broad knowledge of the utility industry, trends, issues, business operations, and safety practices and regulations.
- Advanced knowledge of enterprise risk management concepts, methods, practices and techniques.
- Strong interpersonal, influence and collaboration skills to effectively partner with leaders and peers in multiple departments and facilitate effective cross-functional team building.
- Strong written and oral communication skills to develop and deliver executive level briefings both in writing and orally.
- Excellent critical thinking abilities to interpret and implement high-level regulations and execution plans.
- Analytical investigative and problem-solving skills.
- Strong leadership skills to effectively coach and mentor staff and peers, as well as complete department operational plans.
- Strong adaptability, organizational, prioritization and independent working ability to effectively deal with ambiguity and changing business priorities.
- Knowledge and skill in process improvement concepts, methods and practices (e.g. Six Sigma, Agile, etc.)