Supervisor, Performance Testing and AnalysisI'm Interested Date posted 10/08/2020
Requisition ID # 68463
Job Category : Engineering / Science
Job Level : Supervisor
Business Unit: Electric Operations
Job Location : San Ramon
Applied Technology Services (ATS) is a multi-functional engineering services group within the Pacific Gas and Electric Company. We provide Internal and External Engineering, Testing, and overall Consulting services on a large variety of projects supporting all Organizations within PG&E. The Performance Testing and Analysis Unit is a group of engineers and technicians who provide these services primarily for performance testing and evaluation of commercial and residential systems and appliances for the purpose of energy code enhancement. In addition the unit may work with demand response technologies, power plant equipment testing and calibration, , and other general performance testing and evaluation projects. The Unit operates several laboratories at the San Ramon Technology Center to provide these testing services, and performs field testing support when needed. The current focus of the unit is testing various configurations of heat-pump hot water systems where the data will feed into CBECS, evaluation of a various test procedure for variable capacity residential split system HVAC systems, and development of a low-power test procedure for consumer electronics.
This Supervisor is directly responsible for providing leadership, training, and technical and regulatory direction to the engineers and technicians who provide comprehensive Performance Testing and Analysis services to all PG&E lines of business. This includes planning, organizing, and monitoring Unit assignments, and ensuring work expectations for scope, schedule, cost, safety, environmental compliance and responsiveness are established and are effectively communicated with clients, work unit personnel, management, and other stakeholders. The Supervisor will also ensure that work expectations are fully met and take appropriate and effective corrective actions when needed.
This position will lead an organization of 4 Mechanical Engineers and 5 Technologists/Technicians.
• Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering, or job-related discipline or equivalent years of experience in the energy industry
• 7years of related experience, to include laboratory performance testing and evaluation of commercial and residential systems and appliances for the purpose of energy code enhancement, and field-based performance testing of powerplant systems.
• PE – Professional Engineers License
• Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering or other appropriate engineering field
• Experience supervising people and managing a technical work group
- Safety Requirements: Adhere to and demonstrate all PG&E Safety Requirements at all times. Advocate focus on customer, general public and employee safety in all work practices. Adherence to all applicable Standards and Regulations is essential. Ensure the training and safe work environment and practices of entire work unit. As the person will be responsible for the overall Laboratory safety systems and practices for the unit.
- Leadership: Lead the day to day activities of the ATS Performance Testing and Analysis Unit. The successful applicant will be comfortable interfacing with clients and helping to determine their needs. The candidate should have a strong mechanical engineering background, specifically in the thermal sciences and testing and analysis areas. This will allow the Unit to provide responsive and high quality technical support in the areas described above.
- Personnel Development: Work with Unit personnel for continuous improvement and development to promote excellent technical services now and in the future.
- Client Management: Excellent communication skills (oral and written) are essential. Successful candidates should work well with others and have a client focus. Job requires developing and promoting strong client relationships, having a can do attitude and being sensitive to client issues.
- Job Management: Provide guidance to Unit personnel with planning, scheduling and executing complex parallel projects to successful completion and provide technical direction to inter-disciplinary project teams in a growing dynamic environment.
- Experience with job development - including scope definition, schedule and cost estimates are crucial. Tracks metrics for Unit job performance.
- Financial Management: Provide overall financial management of the Unit’s work, including budgeting and tracking for overall client requested programs.
- Participate and support the ATS Leadership Team and efforts. Be an active member of a 15 person team which sets the business and operational direction of the ATS organization. Participate in Department Leadership meetings, lead/chair ATS teams as necessary, create and submit Unit budget and operating plans.