Remote Sensing Intern
Requisition ID # 82501
Job Category : Administrative / Clerical
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Electric Operations
Electric Operations is focused on ensuring the safe and reliable flow of electric power to our customers and is responsible for all aspects of PG&E's electric distribution and transmission operations, including planning, engineering, maintenance and construction, restoration and emergency response.
A critical part of Electric Operations is the Vegetation Management (VM). The VM group must ensure safe electric power transmission and distribution by protecting electric assets from vegetation encroachments, line strikes and fire ignitions. VM must identify, cut and remove trees that are out of compliance or put electric assets at risk. VM Technology works to collect, process and deliver the information and data that drives VM activity.
VM Technology is responsible for supporting Electric Operations VM effort throughout the use of data. This position will work with the Remote Sensing team to plan and deliver data collections into field operations. The position is an ideal opportunity to learn how Remote Sensing data can be used to solve business and technical challenges. Work topics would include planning LIDAR field collections, data extraction and processing pipelines and have the potential to explore satellite image processing and machine learning for field applications. The position will work at the intersection of forestry, big data and remote sensing and will provide the opportunity to use remote sensing data to solve real world problems.
VM Technology is looking for talented summer intern to help support remote sensing collection campaigns and data processing that may include:
- Designing Remote Sensing Collection Runs
- LIDAR data processing and feature extraction
- Satellite image processing and feature extraction
- Machine learning and data mining for field applications
- Applying big data to forestry and natural hazard problems
The successful intern will have the opportunity to lead and/or support activities as described above working with a team of experienced scientists and arborists. Additionally, the intern will gain knowledge of the larger Electric Operations organization through the work they will be performing.
- Earning a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Engineering, Physics, Geoscience, Computer Science, Environmental Sciences or a related field (students must be continuing education towards degree during and/or after the internship).
- 3.0 GPA or greater in both cumulative GPA and major GPA
- Forestry background or interest
- Data science background or minor
- Basic programming or GIS experience is a plus
- Knowledge of the trees and environments of California
- Ability to work in a team environment and support fellow team members
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Takes initiative and can work independently with minimal direction
PG&E typically is unable to provide VISA sponsorship to students on an F-1, J-1 or other student visa for this position. Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an AA/EEO employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce.