Transmission Mechanic- Stockton (IBEW)I'm Interested Date posted 10/16/2020
Requisition ID # 66145
Job Category : Maintenance / Construction / Operations
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Gas Operations
Job Location : Stockton
Gas Operations is focused on ensuring the safe and reliable flow of natural gas to our customers. Gas Operations is responsible for all aspects of PG&E's gas distribution and transmission operations, including planning, engineering, maintenance and construction, restoration and emergency response.
This is an IBEW Local 1245 represented classification, which has over 100 years of experience representing employees at PG&E. This job is subject to collective bargaining.
A journeyman who, without direct supervision, installs, operates, tests, adjusts, repairs and maintains natural gas compressor station and gas transmission facilities including, but not limited to, servicing, calibrating and testing of gas measurement and regulation pneumatic and hydraulic control systems and devices. Performs overhauls on engines and compressors and station auxiliary equipment. Is skilled in the use of bench, hand and machine shop tools such as valve facers, drill presses, grinders, lathes, mills and is capable of doing shop and routine welding. Will also be proficient in the use of precision measurement tools such as micrometers, dial indicators, deflection gauges and timers. May be required to work at elevated heights. In addition, may be required to perform any of the work for which s/he has been provided training for in the apprenticeship. Background training and experience shall be such that an employee performs these duties with skill and efficiency. May be required to write and hold pipeline and station clearances. This position may be subject to provisional training plan at time of hire.
May be required to perform Environmental Monitor duties as normal job duties. Background training and experience shall be such that an employee performs these duties with skill and efficiency. Work is predominantly outdoors and in all weather conditions. The individual must be able to drive safely, work extended hours, and wear company provided Personal Protective Equipment.
This position is a DOT (Department of Transportation) covered classification and is subject to random drug and/or alcohol screening.
- Installs/maintains/repairs mechanical and other equipment associated with the operation of gas facilities
- Performs overhauls on engines and compressors and station auxiliary equipment.
- Writes and holds pipeline and station clearances.
- Installs, operates, tests, adjusts, repairs and maintains natural gas compressor station and gas transmission facilities.
- Ability to travel throughout PG&E service territory
- Work planning, writing, holding clearances to support Gas Transmission projects and ILI (In-Lin Inspections) of Natural Gas Pipelines.
- Adjusts and/or calibrates equipment; repairs non-operative equipment and devices. Uses power tools and hand tools to remove and replace worn or damaged parts and repair/rebuild components that have been removed from equipment
- Performs necessary modifications to equipment and devices. Uses hydraulic jacks, joists, or cranes during removal and replacement of parts/equipment
- Conducts visual, auditory, and mechanical inspections of equipment to determine the extent of repairs needed and to identify needed replacement parts. Inspects and adjusts components on equipment to prevent premature failure of items.
- Cleans and lubricates moving parts
- Conducts safety inspections on equipment. Inspects equipment to assure proper operation
- Requires to be Operator qualified (OQ) to perform duties required to support clearance work.
- Services, operates, maintains, and secures valves and valve sites by visual inspection, facility maintenance (housekeeping), signage, and painting
- Drives mid-size and heavy-duty trucks, specialized equipment (i.e., all-terrain vehicle), and cars to job sites, which may be located in remote areas or in rugged terrain
- Inspects and maintains pipelines and station equipment to prevent failures; keep in compliance with regulatory agencies (CPUC, DOT, OSHA, EPA, etc.) requirements; uses a variety of tools to perform shop repairs of parts and equipment which may include welding
- Contributes toward Gas Safety Excellence goals by improving safety, reliability and affordability for one or more asset families and one or more life cycles
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must possess a High School diploma, GED or equivalent work experience
- Must possess a valid California Driver's License
- Ability to wear company provided Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Must be able to lift up to 75 pounds a minimum of one time a day
- Ability to work extended hours, nights and on weekends, as well as holidays with little or no notice
- Ability to travel through PG&E service territory
- 3 years experience with maintenance of natural gas pipelines and compressor equipment
- Ability to apply welding and maintenance theories, concepts, methods, best practices, and techniques - for example material selection, corrosion, metallurgy, pipe work, protection - as needed to perform at the job lev
- Ability to obtain a valid Class A California Driver's License Permit within 3 months of hire
- Demonstrated knowledge and working experience with machine tools such as lathe, milling machine, drill press, and/or grinders
- Previous participation in and active safety program participation and/or safety leadership role
- Ability to demonstrate basic computer skills including use of MS Windows operating system, MS office suite
- Demonstrated knowledge and working experience with gas transmission and regulation
- Basic math understanding
- 1 year experience troubleshooting mechanical equipment
PG&E Employees: You must have qualified on all prerequisite tests prior to submitting an application; and all secondary tests prior to interviewing. For more information on prerequisite and secondary exams, including study guides, please visit the Pre-employment testing program website.
- Physical Test Battery
- Work Orientation Inventory-Physical/Technical Driving
- Entrance Exam for Apprentice Transmission Mechanic