Senior Consulting Protection Engineer (ESC) - West Sacramento
Requisition ID # 88642
Job Category : Engineering / Science
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Electric Operations
The men and women of Electric Operations ensure the delivery of safe and reliable electric service to our customers. Electric Operations is responsible for every aspect of PG&E's electric distribution and transmission operations, including planning, engineering, maintenance and construction, asset management, business planning, restoration and emergency response.
This position is represented by the Engineers and Scientists of California (ESC) subject to collective bargaining.
This is a senior consulting level Protection Engineer position that requires mastery of the Senior Engineer job duties and a current PE license. This job is responsible for providing excellent technical protection engineering for routine and complex projects and maintenance/operation support including, but not limited to issuing protection requirements, relay and automatics settings, processing clearances, and investigating relay operations. The engineer at this level leads complex protection projects, is a recognized expert within system protection, and applies extensive system protection knowledge to resolve complex problems with only general direction. Researches and identifies practical solutions to highly complex problems. Provides technical leadership and coaching.
May perform all the functions of Associate, Journey and Senior Protection Engineer, and in addition:
- Manage large highly complex projects and perform engineering analyses, studies, and develop conceptual designs
- Develop innovative solutions to solve challenging technical issues
- In emergencies, acts as a lead in root cause analyses and makes recommendations to address local and system-wide implications
- Represent PG&E at external industry associations, committees, trade organizations and other inter-utility groups
- Perform protection job duties for transmission voltages 230 kV and below
- Perform protection job duties for distribution voltages
- Develop technical policies, procedures, and contributes to the development of standards, specifications, construction documents, and guidelines
- Resolves problems of complex scope. Serves as a key technical resource within system protection. Regularly expected to apply creativity or new approaches to assignments that may be unique. Will receive technical guidance from Principal engineers. May lead others on technically complex projects. Under general direction of supervisor, plans work to meet general objectives.
- Work may be reviewed upon completion; solution often provides an opportunity for creative/non-standard approaches.
- Internal contacts include project team members, managers and directors across various departments. Serves as the most senior technical expert on the team. External contacts limited primarily to obtaining, exchanging and providing information to vendors, manufacturers, other utilities, and consultants on non-routine issues. Participates in professional affiliations (i.e. PSRC, IEEE) to keep abreast of new industry trends, developments and procedures. May represent the company on committees. Often is a technical coach for others.
- BS Degree in Electrical Engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited curriculum in the US or the equivalent from outside the US
- Current and active California PE license
- 13 years of cumulative experience in the field of system protection
- Demonstrate expert knowledge and abilities in system protection
- Experience in multiple large and complex projects and served as team leader