Equipment Mechanic (IBEW) - Bay Area Locations
Requisition ID # 153705
Job Category: Transportation
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Shared Services
Work Type: Onsite
Job Location: Oakland
The Fleet Maintenance Department is a part of PG&E’s Transportation Services Department. We operate out of 6 areas in the PG&E service territory. The Fleet Maintenance Department provides vehicle maintenance and service to PG&E owned and leased vehicles and equipment.
This is an International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) Local 1245 represented classification, which has over 100 years of experience representing employees at PG&E. This job is subject to collective bargaining.
An Equipment Mechanic is a journey-level position. Equipment Mechanics are professional mechanics with a solid knowledge and background in a wide variety of mechanical skills. Skills include, but are not limited to, equipment service and repair of mobile hydraulics, aerial hydraulics, OSHA boom inspections, CHP BIT Inspections, air brakes, electrical and electronic systems, diesel and gasoline powered vehicles and equipment. Equipment Mechanics are responsible for the maintenance, inspection and repair of company owned utility-related equipment.
This position is a DOT (Department of Transportation) covered classification and is subject to random drug and/or alcohol screening.
This shift will be Monday - Thursday 2:30pm - 11:00pm and Friday 12:00pm - 8:30pm
PG&E is providing the hourly rate that the company in good faith believes it might pay for this position at the time of the job posting. This position is subject to collectively bargained hourly wage rates and increases. The starting wage rate for this position is $62.91 per hour. This wage rate is specific to the locality of the job. The wage rate is based on multiple factors, including, but not limited to, specific skills, education, licenses or certifications, experience, market value, geographic location, collective bargaining agreements, and internal equity.
Available positions may be located in any of the following cities and may be subject to change due to business need: San Francisco, San Carlos, Daly City, Oakland, Hayward, Livermore, Antioch, San Jose, Concord, Belmont, and Cupertino
Diagnostics: Conducts visual, auditory and operational inspection of vehicles and equipment to identify and troubleshoot problems for repair; identifies problem causes; researches problems via repair manuals, schematics, OEM's, service bulletins and other mechanics as needed
Repairs/Rebuilds Vehicles & Components: Uses hand tools and power tools to disassemble, access and re- assemble equipment or components; removes and replaces broken or worn parts (such as cylinders, brakes and gaskets); performs tune-ups and electrical repairs
Maintenance: Perform preventative maintenance and inspections as required on all types of mobile equipment
- Record of at least 18 years of age or older
- Possess a High School diploma, GED or equivalent work experience
- Possess and maintain a valid Class A California Driver's License Permit and valid DMV Medical Card by Day 1 of hire
- 4 or more years of proven experience as a certified Journey-level Mechanic working with light, medium and/or heavy-duty equipment service and repair
- Able to perform the following:
- Work in all types of weather extremes
- Drive safely in all weather and road conditions
- Work flexible schedules, extended hours, nights, weekends, and/or overtime (scheduled or ad hoc)
- Wear company provided Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Lift and carry up to 75 pounds a minimum of one time a day
- Capable of climbing on, under and around equipment
- Capable of bending and twisting using proper safety techniques
- Physically able to kneel, squat or crawl as needed
- Must have own tools and tool box
- One year experience with the following:
- Air brakes
- Heavy-duty diesel equipment and/or vehicles
- Regulated inspections such as Cal OSHA Boom Inspections and CHP BIT Inspections
- Vehicle electrical systems and electronic computer-controlled systems
- Demonstrated experience with welding and fabricating
- Demonstrated experience with reading and interpreting schematics and blueprints
PG&E Employees: You must have qualified on all prerequisite tests prior to submitting an application, and all secondary tests prior to interviewing. For more information on prerequisite and secondary exams, including study guides, please visit the Pre-employment testing program website.
- Physical Test Battery
- Work Orientation Inventory-Physical/Technical Driving